Friday, March 15, 2013

Friday Freebies

I'm excited about two upcoming freebies: Rootstech 2013 live streaming and a weekend of ArkivDigital searching.
  • Rootstech 2013 starts next Thursday, March 21st, with the live streaming beginning at 8:30 AM Mountain Time. Sessions will be streamed Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Check out the schedule at the bottom of the front page of the website. I watched much of it last year and this techie genealogist learned a lot. I'm looking forward to viewing as much as I can around my work schedule.
  • ArkivDigital is an exciting website for Swedish records research. Instead of digitizing the old microfilm, they are doing brand new imaging with cameras. The site is offering two free days of research on March 16th and 17th, in celebration of Sweden's Genealogy Day. Here's the link to sign up. 

To use Swedish records you do need to know what you are looking for. If you have used the church records in the past and know your parishes and ancestors, it's worth the time to revisit some of the records that were hard to read from the microfilm. I've also been able to extend my research through probate records which are not available on Genline, now Ancestry.

Here's a look at a new ArkivDigital image (probate) versus an old microfilm image (death) from Ancestry. You can see how much nicer the image is.

ArkivDigital Probate Image
Ancestry Death Image

I hope you join me in enjoying some freebies this March.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment