Saturday, December 23, 2017

Dear Santa -- My Ancestry Christmas List


Dear Ancestry

Dear Santa,

I really need some things from Ancestry. Would you help them out, please.

Give back the number of pages of DNA matches that I have. I'm not a fan of slot machines! It's just not fair to the newbies! I know I have a bazillion matches, but they have no clue.  Show Ancestry that a heart is as important as a wallet. I know, Santa, that's a tough one. Maybe their CEO needs a visit from a Christmas ghost.

Make the data content, data indexes and search parameters behave consistently. 5 record hits should not become zero or 5,000. Help Ancestry realize they are not the only game in town. I haven't seen those bugs at their competitors' sites.

Add a source quality feature and get real with it. In fact, stop counting a source of someone else's tree as a valid source. My Chancery Court case file is a far better source than their error-filled census, but Ancestry doesn't honor that official file because it isn't in their record sets. Help Ancestry see that they are not the only source of data -- merely a tool. Sourcing from John Doe's tree isn't a quality source and Ancestry needs to treat it with no more respect than it deserves.

Return the DNA matches that were lost to Timber. I want back my matches from the Church of the Brethren endogamous group. There were several good matches that are now lost.

A three-way privacy option on trees would be fabulous. It would be private, public, or shared only with DNA matches.

There are so many other ways that  you could help Ancestry improve, Santa. But here's the last and biggest wish -- a chromosome browser. Today I found a DNA match to three of my family tests that makes no sense. Those three areas don't intersect that I know of. It may forever remain a mystery. You know the answer, Santa, because you know us all. But we humans really need a chromosome browser.

Thank you, Santa. I'm counting on you!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment